“In 2020 the Town of Elkton selected Lantz Construction to take on the task of restoring a 180 year old building in the heart of Downtown Elkton that serves as the Elkton Town Hall. The team at Lantz understood the importance of restoring this building to its former glory. Throughout the process Lantz was carful to preserve the original details that remained in the historic Jennings House while modernizing all mechanical, electrical and utility needs for a building in 2020. The project included a complete restoration of nearly 6000 square feet of the original building as well as a 1500 square foot addition. The restoration included the installation of seven new HVAC units, five new restrooms, an elevator, two break rooms, 30 new interior storm windows, 15 new windows in the addition, seven miles of network cables, all new electric, new plumbing, new coffered ceilings in seven rooms and much more as you will see shortly. The restoration efforts led by Lantz Construction Company ensured that the historic Jennings House will be around for future generations of Elkton residents to enjoy and appreciate.” – Joshua Gooden
“I would highly recommend Lantz Construction Company and the entire Lantz team for any future Town projects and to any other outside persons seeking references.” – Gaither Hurt | Project Manager, Town of Elkton
About This Project
Elkton, VA – 7,407 sf
For more than half a century (1964-2016), the Town of Elkton utilized this antebellum Italianate-style house for various purposes, including as town hall, police department, and a library, but by 2016 it was in dire need of repairs. The house sat vacant for two years before serious plans were made to resurrect the building and extensive renovations took place between May and December 2020.
The building was expanded by nearly 1,400 square feet and provided with much-needed improvements such as new HVAC, plumbing, and electrical, new roofing, storm windows, wheelchair lift, and five new ADA-compliant restrooms.
An integral part of the renovation was removal of the inadequate (and unoriginal) enclosure on the rear of the building and construction of a larger two-story addition that compliments the historic building and closely matches the existing brick. In addition to the restrooms, renovated spaces include lobby areas on the main and lower levels, offices, meeting rooms, and a staff lounge. Other notable improvements include a new stairwell, ceramic tile flooring, lighting, wood trim, paint, and new sidewalks.
The grand, circa 1860 former residence of Dr. Simeon B. Jennings (1806-1886) now proudly serves the Town of Elkton once again as town hall and police department, and also affords meeting space for small groups and clubs and a dedicated area for historical and visitor information.