About This Project
The crumbling exterior on this 1895 church was removed and replaced with new brick and granite that closely matched the original serpentine green stone, brick surfaces inside the bell tower were repointed and copper finials and decorative elements were replaced on the roof. Significant tax credits were involved in this project which required that the construction replicate the existing conditions.
This project won the 2016 MIA+BSI: The Natural Stone Institute Pinnacle Award of Merit in Renovation/Restoration and was also awarded the Heritage Preservation Award from the Historic Staunton Foundation in January 2018. For additional images and a detailed article on the project by John Grill, P.E. and Rex Cyphers, P.E. of WDP & Associates, click here.