After posting about the Leslie Home last week, which was a Lantz Construction Design-Build project, we’ve had a few questions about what Design-Build is exactly.
The easy answer is that Design-Build is type of construction in which one company creates a single contract with the project owner to provide both design and construction services, a sort of one-stop-shop in terms of construction.
There are many advantages that come with a Design-Build project including the few listed below.
1. Single Source Responsibility
Instead of contracting with multiple entities that are each responsible for different aspects of a project, you only deal with one company, the design-builder, who has complete responsibility for the total design and construction process. The process is simplified for you, and all responsibility is placed in the most capable hands. This avoids finger-pointing between the architect and the contractor if things don’t work as expected. The design-builder is ultimately responsible.
2. Better Communication
With only one company handling all aspects of your project, the lines of communication are streamlined. Chances for misunderstandings are reduced because Owners deal with one entity instead of multiple parties. All of your expectations are clearly understood and met.
3. Favorable Cost Considerations
• Early cost input from the contractor. A price is put on conceptual design ideas as they are developed.
• A guaranteed maximum price can be determined early, after the scope of the project is established.
• Architectural and engineering fees are kept to a minimum. They are not based on cost of the project and are determined from the beginning.
• Contractor fees are kept to a minimum, and determined from the beginning.
• Legal fees are kept to a minimum by eliminating the adversary roles.
4. Fast Tracking
Construction can begin on a “phased-basis” while design details are being worked out. The customer’s interim financing costs can be reduced and occupancy can begin at an earlier date.
For more information about Design-Build give us a call at (540) 896-8911 or come on by our office!
Lantz Construction Company provides high quality design & construction services at a fair price. We are a “Class A” general contractor licensed in Virginia and West Virginia specializing in commercial design-build construction. Learn More…